Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Chelsea's 3 Bean Tortilla Soup


I must admit, I make a mean tortilla soup. 
Yumm... I like to make large pots and eat it for days. 
It could easily be turned into a vegetarian chili. 

It's one of those staples that I always turn to because its
a. delicious
b. quick and easy
c. cheap
Ill tell you how I make it, but it's never the same. 
I don't have exact measurements. Im not Martha Stewart. Although I wish I were. 
Just kidding. I don't. 

Ingredients:
Garbanzo beans- 1 can
Pinto beans- 1 can
Black beans- 1 can
Diced tomatos- 1 can
Veggie broth (or chicken)- about 1/2 cup
Corn- 1 small can OR small bag of frozen
Garlic- 3-4 cloves
Red onion-1 medium
Cayenne pepper- 1/4 teaspoon
Cumin- 1/4 teaspoon

Directions:
-In large pot sprinkle tablespoon of olive oil and sautee the garlic and onion until fragrant over medium heat and add spices. 
-Add remaining ingredients at a low boil for a couple minutes while stirring. 
-Reduce heat and cover while letting it simmer for about 15 minutes, or until you can't wait any longer!
-Crunch up tortilla chips and sprinkle them over serving with a dollop of daisy (sour cream, duh). 

Wow, easy, right?
Sometimes I add a rotisserie chicken, but Im trying to cut out meat as much as I can. 
Im sure a slow cookin' would make this real good.