Tuesday, February 15, 2011

My Little Valentine

I tried my best to make Valentines Day a special day. 

I think I failed. Have I mentioned that I am sick again?
I can't decide if I should go to the doctor or not. To be quite honest, I don't think I can get myself to the doctor. Yes, I did attempt to go to work today, but I also failed at that. I am now home laying underneath two comforters and propped up by 3 of the best pillows in the house. aka Owyn's pillows. That kid has claimed all of the softest down pillows in this house to be his own. He cries out for them when he's sad or tired. " Gaaaawwwwlllll". How he got gawl out of pillow, I'm not sure. 

Anyway, here are my symptoms so you can tell me whether this need medical attention or not: sore, swollen and red throat, congestion in sinus cavities and chest, lots of pressure on my chest, low fever around 100 for three days (even if I take Tylenol!), extremely sore and achy body (even my hands are sore. weird.), sinus headache.



Yesterday I had a doctor appointment, not with my PCP. Dave advised me not to take Owyn but I hate asking people to watch him, especially just for an hour or two, so I brought him anyway. Boy oh boy was that a nightmare! It wouldn't have been so bad if those damn Pharmaceutical Reps didn't keep coming in and taking up the doctors time which meant we had to wait 25 minutes in the waiting room past my scheduled appointment. Owyn must had been on speed or something and was running in circles around the waiting room like a Tasmanian devil. He kept wanting to go outside and when I picked him up he would throw a fit and hit me in the face, or himself. I was so angry because 3 pharmaceutical reps walked in one after the other smiling and all making remarks like "it's hard being the mom sometimes" and I looked at them and wanted to slap them. I know what they're doing, I know that they are trying to push their drugs onto my doctor when he should be taking me back into the room. I know because my mom used to be one (only she wasn't pushy, of course :))

Afterward I thought I would try to take Owyn out for some lunch so we went to Sauce and all he wanted to do was play with the silverware. 

We went nextdoor to Urban Outfitters to get Dave a bag he's been wanting and I couldn't remember which one is was. 

We had a second doctor appointment, this one was a check up for Owyn, later in the day. It turned out worst than the other. We waited an hour and Owyn was going nuts in the little room. I had to transfer my sleeping son from his bed into the car so we could get to the doctor in time. He didn't have shoes on, he had crusty stuff on his face, stinky breath and a diaper full of pee on him. I left the diaper bag in the car and couldn't get my aching body out to get it. I was embarrassed, I looked like I never take care of my child. 

Toddler boys are really tough to deal with sometimes. Cutest and funniest being in the world, but man, they sure do like to test the limits. I never hear moms with toddler girls complain but every mother I meet who has or has had a toddler son has the same stories I have. 

By the time we made it home I was texting Dave begging him to come home and take care of Owyn so I could rest. The moment he came home I went into bed and spent 3 hours writing a paper. Meanwhile Dave was running around the house taking care of everyone and cleaning up the days worth of messes. I feel so bad. I wanted to do something special for him but instead he did everything for me. 

Gotta love my boys. Without them, my life would be so empty.

 

I know my last few posts have been a little snarky, but with 3 illnesses over a course of 4 weeks comes cynicism. 

****
See lasts year's festivities here and here


****

Also, did you know my blog just celebrated it's second birthday last week? It's true!