Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A True American Idol


A while ago Dave told me a quote. One by Eleanor Roosevelt. This quote was: 

"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."

I replied, "she has taken those words out of my mouth!"
This is what I have been trying to explain for so long. I have discussions with my sister about it, a woman who is a great mind. Ever since Dave said this to me I have been in love with Eleanor Roosevelt. She was such an incredible woman. One that I look up to. 

This is one of the reasons why I love Dave. He knows me so well and we share the same ideas and values. We are able to have deep discussions that and share political and religious ideas. And luckily for us, we agree on all religious points of view and most political. He is able to open my eyes, challenge my ideas and even give me he shivers by the powerful things that come out of his mouth. And I'm sure I do the same for him.. maybe?

Anyway, back to my lady Ellie, she is my new idol.
Here are some great quotes of hers that I treasure, for your pleasure:

"People grow through experience if they meet life honestly and courageously. This is how character is built."

"One thing life has taught me: if you are interested, you never have to look for new interests. They come to you. When you are genuinely interested in one thing, it will always lead to something else."

"A little simplification would be the first step toward rational living, I think."
 
"Friendship with ones self is all important, because without it one cannot be friends with anyone else in the world."

"I think, at a child's birth, if a mother could ask a fairy godmother to endow it with the most useful gift, that gift should be curiosity."

"My experience has been that work is almost the best way to pull oneself out of the depths."

"Only a man's character is the real criterion of worth."

"You can never really live anyone else's life, not even your child's. The influence you exert is through your own life, and what you've become yourself."

-------------------------------------------

My biggest goal in this life here on Earth is to be a good example to my children and be someone they can look up to.